lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From tejz <gummadit...@gmail.com>
Subject how to display text with \n,\r in jsp from textarea?
Date Thu, 25 Feb 2010 12:01:12 GMT

I am wondering as how all these sites (like this Expert-Exchange, hotmail,
etc etc) works which are able to show all

kind of chars (KEEPING format) in your mail/postings. All these data are
entered in the TextField (like this one,

where a I am typing this content), which goes to some database (like Oracle
in mycase). And then they are able to

show the whole data back in some TextArea without any problem. I think if I
start taking care of each special char

for me (like new line, ', " etc) then there could be no end for my code. I
believe there should be some mechanism by

which whatever data you get from DB (Oracle) --> JSP Java String object -->
HTML TextArea and Vice-Versa without

loosing any data and preventing the "Unterminated string constant". I
believe that some sort of encoding and

decoding need to be done, but what those are? How all these sites do it.

Textarae:------

cols="30"></TEXTAREA></td>

JavaScript:----

var notes=document.Form.notes.value;
notes = notes.replace(/\n\r?/g, '<BR/>');

and saving it in db...as string..
and again retrivewing from db:------
notes = resultset.getString("notes");
notes = notes.replace("<BR/>","\n"); <--- is it corerect?

and displaying in jsp:----
<%
String notes =request.getAttribute("notes").toString();
out.println(notes);
%>

upto here ok....when i am edittng that notes in jsp as below:--

cols="30"name="searchPrfForm" property="fprofilevo.notes"
styleId="notes"/></td>

here also showing correct ,..but when i was click submit button..it was
showing error as unterminated string constant error..

on svae function:---
var notes=document.getElementById("notes").value;
notes = notes.replace(/\n\r?/g, '<BR/>');

plz tell me ..where i have to modify it?
how to display text with \n,\r in jsp from textarea?