lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Uwe Schindler" <...@thetaphi.de>
Subject RE: Flex & Docs/AndPositionsEnum
Date Wed, 10 Feb 2010 13:15:23 GMT
> Could you provide pointers to search code that uses the segment-level
> enum ?
> As I explained in my last answer to Michael, the TermScorer is using
> the
> DocsEnum interface, and therefore do not know if it manipulates
> segment-level enum or a Multi*Enums. What search (or query operators)
> in
> Lucene is using segment-level enums ?

All of them, only rewrites are currently done on the top-level reader. IndexSearcher since
2.9 creates Scorers in separate for each segment and merges the results in its collector.
Because of that we have a modified Collector interface that has setNextReader() methods and
so on.

So you can assume that every Scorer uses a SegmentReader, but legacy code may behave different
(like if somebody instantiates a TermScorer and passes the top level reader to it). Also Solr
is not yet completely free of global readers (as far as I know).