lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Guido Bartolucci <guido.bartolu...@gmail.com>
Subject Lucene as a primary datastore
Date Wed, 20 Jan 2010 03:58:36 GMT
I know that the primary use case for Lucene is as an index of data
that can be reconstructed (e.g., from a relational database or from
spidering your corporate intranet).

But, I'm curious if anyone uses Lucene as their primary datastore for
their gold data. Is it good enough?

Would anyone consider (or do people already) store data in Lucene
that, if it was lost, would destroy their business? And no, I'm not
suggesting that you don't back up this data, I'm just curious if there
are problems with using Lucene in this way. Are there subtle
corruptions that might show up in Lucene that wouldn't show up in
Oracle or MySQL?

I'm considering using Lucene in this way but I haven't been able to
find any documentation describing this use case. Are there any studies
of Lucene vs MySQL running for N years comparing the corruptions and
recovery times?

Am I just ignorant and scared of Lucene and too trusting of Oracle and MySQL?

Thanks.

-guido.

(BTW, I did find a similar question asked back in 2007 in the archives
but it doesn't really answer my question)