lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Chris Hostetter <hossman_luc...@fucit.org>
Subject Re: Supported way to get segment from IndexWriter?
Date Fri, 15 Jan 2010 00:57:10 GMT

: Since SegmentInfos is now public, you could use SegmentInfos.read to
: read the current segments_N file, and then call its .size() method?
:
: But, this will only count as of the last commit... which is probably
: not sufficient for SOLR-1559?

Honestly: i have no idea, I'm a little out of touch with awhat "commit"
means in Lucene-Java these days.

The goal is to be able to compute a maxNumberOfSegments relative to "the
current number of segments", some people might percieve that as the
current number of "committed" segments -- but really it comes down to
what optimize is going to do with the resulting number.

if someone has the goal of making iterative micro optimizations to their
index, so they say "optimize to $currentSegmentCount-1 segments" but the
number of commited segments is 3 and the number of uncommited segments is
27 higher (because of active indexing) so the app starts trashing as it
tries to optimize down from 27 to 3 that doesn't feel like "Do what i
mean"

: We could simply make getSegmentCount public / expert / not only for tests?

I was considering doing that in the SolrIndexWriter class that already
exists as a subclass of IndexWriter, but i didn't want to go that route if
there was a good reason why IndexWriter.getSegmentCount isn't already
public (ie: if there was an expecation that the way IndexWRiter manages
segments was subject to refactoring getSegmentCount out of existence)

-Hoss