lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Ganesh" <emailg...@yahoo.co.in>
Subject Re: Lucene as a primary datastore
Date Wed, 20 Jan 2010 06:13:21 GMT
We have data in compound files and we use Lucene as primary database. Its working great and
much faster with millions of records. The only issue, I face is with sorting. Lucene sorting
consumes good amount of memory. I don't know much about the MySQL/PostgreSQL database, and
how they behave with millions of records but i guess their sorting memory consumption would
be less.

It would be great, If Lucene has the ability to do backups / replication. I don't know how
to modify/use the solr script.

Regards
Ganesh

----- Original Message -----
From: "Otis Gospodnetic" <otis_gospodnetic@yahoo.com>
To: <java-user@lucene.apache.org>; <guido@bartolucci.org>
Sent: Wednesday, January 20, 2010 10:45 AM
Subject: Re: Lucene as a primary datastore

> You are not alone, Guido.  It's a good question.  In my experience, Lucene is as stable
as MySQL/PostgreSQL in terms of its ability to hold your data and not corrupt it.  Of course,
even with the most expensive databases, you'd want to make backups.  The same goes with Lucene.
 Nowadays, one way people make "backups" is via replication. :)  Solr users thus often get
backups for free, as do people who put copies of their data on file systems like HDFS, which
tend to have replication turned on.