lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Michael McCandless <luc...@mikemccandless.com>
Subject Re: Is there a way to limit the size of an index?
Date Thu, 07 Jan 2010 19:28:15 GMT
On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 2:23 PM, Otis Gospodnetic
<otis_gospodnetic@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Merge factor controls how many segments are merged at once.  The default is 10.
>>
>> The maxMergeMB setting sets the max size for a given segment to be
>> included in a merge.
>
> I wonder if renaming that to maxSegSizeMergeMB would make it more obvious what this does?

Well... that setting is already in LogByteSizeMergePolicy (not
IndexWriter), so I think in that context it's pretty clear?

Though I'd love to find a better name that conveys that the size
limitation applies to the segments *being* merged, not to the
resulting merged segment.  maxStartingSegSizeMB?

Mike