lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Chris Lu <chris...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Lucene as a primary datastore
Date Wed, 20 Jan 2010 19:40:59 GMT
I have 3 concerns of making Lucene as a primary database.
1) Lucene is stable when it's stable. But you will have java exceptions.
What would you do when FileNotFoundException or "Lucene 2.9.1 'read past
EOF' IOException under system load" happens?
For me, I don't the data is safe this way. Or, you can understand all
Lucene APIs and never make any mistakes.
Some databases, like some versions of mysql, could corrupt data. No
better, but it's still more robust.
2) As the name suggests, Lucene index is just an index, like database
index, it's an auxiliary data structure. It's only fast in one way, but
could be slow in other ways.
3) The more robust approach is to pull data out of database, and create
a Lucene index. In case something goes wrong, you can always pull data
out again and create the index again.

--
Chris Lu