lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Paul Taylor <paul_t...@fastmail.fm>
Subject Re: NOT_ANALYSED_NO_NORMS should get max field length boost
Date Tue, 12 Jan 2010 13:56:53 GMT
Erick Erickson wrote:
> Are you saying that you index the *same* field differently in different
> documents? Or do you index the field in question in the same way in
> all documents?
Same way in all documents

> I ask because I'm having a hard time following the logic here. A
> field that is NOT analyzed is an all-or-none match, i.e.
> looking for "paul" in an unanalyzed field "paul taylor" will
> not match, so boosting is pretty irrelevant on that field.

But if it does match won't this affect the end score

i.e, consider Doc 1 has unalysed field containing fred and Doc 2
analysed field contain tom sawyer
and this search unalysedfield:fred OR analysedfield:tom

If it had norms, Doc1 would come first , but without norms they would be
joint first right ?

> Could you boost your *other* fields by less than one to achieve
> the same end?
What are the values, what is the value given to a single field norm boosted

Paul