lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Paul Taylor <paul_t...@fastmail.fm>
Subject NOT_ANALYSED_NO_NORMS should get max field length boost
Date Tue, 12 Jan 2010 12:53:49 GMT
Lucene in Action says you can possibly use NOT_ANALYSED_NO_NORMS when
indexing fields that arent tokenized, but later says norms are used to
boost fields with less /single term, so matches based on these single
term fields would miss out on this boost. Is there a way to use
NOT_ANALYSED_NO_NORMS on these fields will will mean they end up with
the best boost (1.0 as default) , and then documents that are analysed
with norms receive a negative boost (<1.0) if they contain more than one
token.

I'm not using Document or Field boosting, so seems a bit silly for me to
store all these norms just to say this field contains a single token and
therefore should get an addtional boost.

Perhaps Im misundersanding this, and this would work as required.

thanks Paul