lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Sriram Muthuswamy Chittathoor" <srir...@ivycomptech.com>
Subject RE: Applying LUCENE-1606 -- which version
Date Fri, 22 Jan 2010 13:28:32 GMT
then I recommend storing your data in a different structure that
will support such queries.
--  what would this structure be ?  Is this to be done through Lucene.

-----Original Message-----
From: Robert Muir [mailto:rcmuir@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, January 22, 2010 6:47 PM
To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: Applying LUCENE-1606 -- which version

the patch won't especially help queries like this. maybe they will be
5 or 6 times faster, but still slow.

if you really want to do such queries, consider this: do you really
need * to match an INFINITE amount of characters?!?!

If not, then consider rewriting input queries like this into FINITE
RegExpQuerys, something like .{0,3}poker.* at least, where the first
component can only match at most 3 of any character, before it must be
a p.
you can tweak the 'parameter' 3 until its a reasonable tradeoff
between relevance and performance.

if, on the other hand, you have 100 million rows and feel its
mandatory that * matches an infinite amount of characters in this
case, then I recommend storing your data in a different structure that
will support such queries.

On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 5:46 AM, Sriram Muthuswamy Chittathoor
<sriramc@ivycomptech.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the fast reply.
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lucene/java/branches/flex_1458/
> I used the one above to checkout.  Hope it is fine.  Will see how it
> works out.
>
> My requirement is that I have a index into a DB row (100 million rows).
> On some text fields I want to do  contains  search fast.  I hope this
> will suit my needs.   Something like   screenName:*poker*

Robert Muir
rcmuir@gmail.com