lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From jchang <jchangkihat...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Can't start Lucene App: java.io.FileNotFoundException with brand new directory
Date Sun, 24 Jan 2010 03:48:31 GMT

I figured it out...but the answer leads to a new question.

The problem was that I was using this constructor:
IndexWriter(Directory d, Analyzer a, boolean create,
IndexWriter.MaxFieldLength mfl)

I passed in false for create, and if there is no index yet, it fails as I
described.  As soon as I pass true for create, the problem goes away.  I
guess that makes sense; if you pass false, it expects to find an index
there.

However, if I pass true, I'll overwrite my existing index (that's what the
javadocs say, and I've found it to be true, generally, although not
always...I can't explain the difference).

I don't want to overwrite my index every time I start up, but I don't want
to be able to start up with a new, clean index dir.  What do I do?