lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Karl Wettin <karl.wet...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Lucene as a primary datastore
Date Wed, 20 Jan 2010 17:35:37 GMT

20 jan 2010 kl. 04.58 skrev Guido Bartolucci:

> Am I just ignorant and scared of Lucene and too trusting of Oracle
> and MySQL?

Since all your comparations is with relational databases I feel
obligated to say what has been said so many times on this list:

Lucene is an index and not a relational database. There are many
things you can do with a relational database you don't even want to
try to do with a Lucene index.

What Lucene can do without a problem is to act as a key-value store.

My indices does however tend to evolve. I find ways to improve the
index and that often result in rebuilding the index from scratch. That
can be problematic if the index also act as the primary persistency
layer. Therefore I've occationally used Lucene as a secondary
persistency layer, i.e. pushed data from the primary persistency
(usually a Berkeley DB) to Lucene (Solr) for easy and up to date
distribution of the domain data the index points at. But to be quite
honest I don't like it and I can't explain why in more detail than
that it feels wrong. It's always been a hack to save time. (Since BDB
JE came with distribution I don't do this anymore.)

       karl