lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Yuliya Palchaninava ...@solute.de>
Subject Lucene 2.9 and 3.0: Optimized index is thrice as large as the not optimized index
Date Thu, 07 Jan 2010 16:23:08 GMT
Hi,

According to the api documentation: "In general, once the optimize completes, the total size
of the index will be less than the size of the starting index. It could be quite a bit smaller
(if there were many pending deletes) or just slightly smaller". In our case the index becomes
not smaller but larger, namely thrice as large.

The not optimized index doesn't contain compressed fields, what could have caused the growth
of the index due to the otimization. So we cannot explain what happens.

Does someone have an explanation for the index growth due to the optimization?

Thanks,
Yuliya