lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Michael McCandless <>
Subject Re: IndexDivisor
Date Thu, 03 Dec 2009 12:52:32 GMT
On Thu, Dec 3, 2009 at 7:15 AM, Ganesh <> wrote:

> Below are my stats
> IndexDivisor    Memory
>    -1                7 MB
>    1                  486 MB
>    100              180 MB
>    1000            176 MB.

Do you simply create the IndexWriter & IndexReader, but do no

How are you measuring RAM?  You should use a RAM profiler (eg YourKit)
to get the "real" usage, not counting garbage that's yet to be

My guess is the shear process of Lucene scanning your terms index
creates lots of garbage and you're measuring the RAM consumed by that
garbage.  The garbage should be harmless (it'll eventually get GCd &

> 1. Whether term vector will consume RAM. I think it should only consume disk space.

No RAM is consumed.

> 2. By setting RAM buffer for IW, Does it will allocate memory Or based on the usage the
memory will be allocated / increased.

Only a little RAM is allocated up front, I think.  It's only as you
start indexing docs that the big RAM is really allocated.  After a
flush the RAM is then reused (ie, not freed) for subsequent segments.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message