lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Benjamin Heilbrunn <ben...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Norm Value of not existing Field
Date Fri, 04 Dec 2009 08:40:50 GMT
Erick, I'm not sure if I understand you right.
What do you mean by "spinning through all the terms on a field".

It would be an option to load all unique terms of a field by using TermEnum.
Than use TermDocs to get the docs to those terms.
The rest of docs doesn't contain a term and so you know, that the
field don't exists or is empty on those docs.
Btw: Is there a distinction in Lucene between empty and not existing Fields?

The above method would work very well I think, but it would require to
build and hold an extra data structure.
My index has about 20 fields and 4 million docs. The overhead would be to large.

I think - using the norms array (which is already there for most of
the fields) would be a nice approach.

Benjamin