lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Ian Lea <ian....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Lucene Index size v/s available memory
Date Wed, 23 Dec 2009 10:23:12 GMT
Hi

24Gb RAM for a 100Gb index is likely to be plenty.  You don't have a
huge amount of control over what lucene loads in memory, but take a
look at termInfosIndexDivisor in IndexReader.  And I believe that
omitting field norms (Field.setOmitNorms) may help too.  Googling for
"lucene memory usage" or equivalent will find you some info.

Are you using lucene sorting?  That can use a lot of memory - see
recent threads on this list.

How many queries per second?  Loads ...  Try it out yourself with your
searches on your index on your hardware.  And read
http://wiki.apache.org/lucene-java/ImproveSearchingSpeed

Good luck.

--
Ian.

On Wed, Dec 23, 2009 at 5:27 AM, Shakti Purohit
<shakti_purohit@persistent.co.in> wrote:
> We are required to find out how much percentage/part of lucene index needs to be in memory
for acceptable search response time. The index size we have is around 100 GB while the available
memory is 24 GB. Since we do not have the option of loading whole of the index in memory we
wanted to know what minimum part of lucene index be loaded in memory so that response time
is not affected.
> Does the index consist of any files or hierarchy such that loading only this file/information
in memory and not whole of the index would suffice for faster response time.

> The other question I have is how many queries per second lucene can support? We are interested
in finding out throughput of the system.