lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Anshum <ansh...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: CANNOT use a * or ? symbol as the first character of a search.
Date Mon, 28 Dec 2009 09:02:08 GMT
Hi,
Don't worry! there always are ways!
Is prefix query is what you are trying to run? They would run but would be
highly unoptimized as lucene stores terms in a lexically sorted manner in
its index. <term>* like query terms are allowed by the parser/searcher
though.
Possible solution for this would be:
Index flipped terms (using an appropriate analyzer) i.e. cat is also indexed
as tac. You may then query on ta* instead of at*.
Does that solve your issues/concern?

--
Anshum Gupta
Naukri Labs!