lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Jason Rutherglen <>
Subject Re: IndexWriter creates multiple .cfs files
Date Tue, 08 Dec 2009 06:30:59 GMT

That's expected behavior, each .cfs corresponds to all of a
segment's files. You could write your own directory
implementation that underneath writes to a single file. It's
usually good to present what you're trying to accomplish (i.e.
the why).

On Mon, Dec 7, 2009 at 10:25 PM, Cool The Breezer
<> wrote:
> Hello Group,
>                  I am continuously updating an index and at the same time searcher
also searches the index, which resulted in multiple .cfs files for each commit by IndexWriter.
I am not sure whether this is an expected behavior or I need to merge each time after IndexWriter
commits. In between the writer's commit, I reopen the IndexReader but still .cfs files keep
on increasing. I would like to have one .cfs file which can be reopened frequently by reader
and at the same time progressive commit by writer. Is it possible?