lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Siraj Haider <si...@jobdiva.com>
Subject Lucene going non-responsive under heavy load
Date Tue, 22 Dec 2009 22:19:01 GMT
Hello guys,
We have a dilemma on a few of our lucene machines.  We have a tomcat
running our servlets for searching and indexing on each of these
machines.  Its a live index where documents are being added to index
while online searches are also being served at the same time.  Indexing
happens every 5 minutes and if there are new documents added, the index
gets reopend.  For most of the times the performance is very good, but
under heavy load of searches, the machine goes non-responsive.  We can
still telnet to machine and see that cpu-wise its not bad, but I/O seems
to be a problem.  Is there anything we might be doing to cause it or
anything that we can do to avoid it.  I know I did not provide a lot of
information about how we are indexing and searching but I will answer
any question anyone might have.

thanks in advance
-siraj