lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Erick Erickson <erickerick...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: TopFieldDocCollector and v3.0.0
Date Tue, 08 Dec 2009 13:24:21 GMT
You might want to move to 2.9.1 first, find and fix all the deprecations
and *then* move to 3.x.

It seems like more work, but it's actually not. Especially if you have
reasonable
unit tests. Since lots of effort has been put into maintaining backwards
compatibility in the 2.X versions, 2.9.1 should "just work" for you. Then
you can remove the deprecated methods a little bit at a time rather than
all at once. It's always tempting to do things in "one big edit", but then
you
never know which one of the many changes actually broke something. Unless
you can code perfectly the first time, in which case I'd recommend we hire
you and pay you a gazillion dollars <G>....

Once all the deprecations are removed from 2.9.1, you shouldn't have to do
anything to move to 3.x. So you get the best of both worlds....

Best
Erick