lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Rob Staveley \(Tom\)" <rstave...@seseit.com>
Subject Lucene 3.0.0 writer with a Lucene 2.3.1 index
Date Fri, 11 Dec 2009 17:20:56 GMT
I'm upgrading from 2.3.1 to 3.0.0. I have 3.0.0 index readers ready to go
into production and writers in the process of upgrading to 3.0.0.

I think understand the implications of
http://wiki.apache.org/lucene-java/BackwardsCompatibility#File_Formats for
the upgrade, but I'd love it if someone could validate my following
assumptions.

  1. My 2.3.1 indexes have compressed fields in them, which the 3.0.0
readers work nicely with, as expected. I should assume that my 3.0.0 readers
will continue to handle 2.3.1 indexes OK.

  2. Presumably Lucene all future 3.x index readers will continue to handle
compressed fields and we should only anticipate Lucene 4.x choking on them.

I was naively expecting my index directories to grow when my 3.0.0 index
writer merged the 2.3.1 indexes and/or optimize()'d them converting them to
3.0.0. However, I don't see that. Presumably that means that....

  3. Documents added to existing 2.3.1 indexes will be added conforming to
3.0.0, but existing documents in the index will continue to have compressed
content and old documents can coexist happily with the new ones, and my
indexes will become a mixture of 2.3.1 and 3.0.0.

  4. I should use
http://lucene.apache.org/java/2_9_1/api/all/org/apache/lucene/util/Version.h
tml#LUCENE_23 for the StandardAnalyzer and QueryParser in mixed indexes in
3.0.0 if I want to handle analysis consistently, or go for LUCENE_CURRENT if
I want to handle the new content "better" (bearing in mind that the new
content will eventually replace the old content anyhow).

  5. I should use
http://lucene.apache.org/java/3_0_0/api/all/org/apache/lucene/analysis/StopF
ilter.html#StopFilter%28boolean,%20org.apache.lucene.analysis.TokenStream,%2
0java.util.Set%29 with enablePositionIncrements=false in mixed indexes in
3.0.0 if I want to handle analysis consistently, or go for
enablePositionIncrements=true if I want to handle the new content "better"