lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Simon Willnauer <>
Subject Re: Max number of open IndexWriters
Date Sun, 15 Nov 2009 00:03:48 GMT
In general you should only use one single writer and use it with
multiple threads. IndexWriter is optimized for concurrency and fully
thread-safe. Is that what you trying to achieve?

otherwise I would 100% agree with eric not knowing of a use-case.

On Sun, Nov 15, 2009 at 12:58 AM, Erick Erickson
<> wrote:
> Hmmm, why would you want to do this? What problem are
> you trying to address with so many readers?
> I ask because I'm having a hard time thinking of a reasonable
> use-case.
> Best
> Erick
> On Sat, Nov 14, 2009 at 11:35 AM, Hrishikesh Agashe <
>> wrote:
>> Is there any limit on how many IndexWriter can I keep open at same time?
>> What does it depends on (RAM?) Can I keep 100 or 200 IndexWriters open in
>> say HashMap and use them as I process documents?
>> ==========
>> This e-mail may contain privileged and confidential information which is
>> the property of Persistent Systems Ltd. It is intended only for the use of
>> the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If you are not the
>> intended recipient, you are not authorized to read, retain, copy, print,
>> distribute or use this message. If you have received this communication in
>> error, please notify the sender and delete all copies of this message.
>> Persistent Systems Ltd. does not accept any liability for virus infected
>> mails.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message