lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Michael McCandless <luc...@mikemccandless.com>
Subject Re: Searching while optimizing
Date Mon, 23 Nov 2009 22:17:23 GMT
When you say "getting a reader of the writer" do you mean
writer.getReader()?  Ie the new near real-time API in 2.9?

For that API (an in general whenever you open a reader), you must
close it.  I think all your files is because you're not closing your
old readers.

Reopening readers during optimize is fine, if you close the old reader
each time.  It will possibly tie up more transient disk usage than had
you reopened at the end of optimize, but if you have plenty of disk
space it shouldn't be a problem.

Mike