lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Michael McCandless <luc...@mikemccandless.com>
Subject Re: Index files not deleted after optimization
Date Tue, 03 Nov 2009 15:35:39 GMT
On Tue, Nov 3, 2009 at 9:45 AM, Ganesh <emailgane@yahoo.co.in> wrote:
> My IndexReader and Searcher is open all the time. I am reopening it at constant interval.
>
> Below are the code sequence.
>
> 1. DB optimize
> 2. Close writer
> 3. Open writer
> 4. Reopen new reader
> 5. Close old reader
> 6. Close old searcher.

Assuming there is an implicit:

  0. Open a reader/searcher

Then it's expected after step 6 that you have leftover files, because
the writers in step 2 and 3 were unable to delete the files since the
reader from step 0 still had them open.  Once you open a new writer,
or commit any changes with the existing writer, the files will be
deleted.

>>>If the old IndexReader is still open when the optimize completes then the files
it has open cannot be deleted.
> If reader should not be opened while doing optimize then User cannot perform search during
the time period.

It's fine to leave a reader open... it just means the old files will
persist until the writer is able to delete them.

Mike