lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Michael McCandless <luc...@mikemccandless.com>
Subject Re: Index files not deleted after optimization
Date Tue, 03 Nov 2009 09:52:47 GMT
It depends on the relative timing.

If the old IndexReader is still open when the optimize completes then
the files it has open cannot be deleted.

But, if that IndexReader hadn't been reopened in a while, it's
possible it did not in fact have the files of the just-merged segments
open (in which case the delete would succeed).

Mike

On Tue, Nov 3, 2009 at 4:17 AM, Ganesh <emailgane@yahoo.co.in> wrote:
> I am reopening the reader and closing the old one. I am not facing this issue in Linux
otherwise Linux will show <filename>(deleted) under /proc/pid/fd/.

> searcher.getIndexReader().close();
> searcher.close();
>
> Regards
> Ganesh

I enabled the info stream and found the below entries. I used ProcessExplorer from SysInternals
to view the lock file, but old db files are not locked by any process. Even rename of those
files are successful. If i stop the tomcat, old db files are deleted. I could see only the
optimized segment files. The same code works fine in Linux. I am facing this issue in Windows
XP and 2003.

>> IFD [FLUSH]: IndexFileDeleter: unable to remove file "_0.frq": java.io.IOException:
Cannot delete <FolderName>\_0.frq>; Will re-try later.
>> IFD [FLUSH]: delete "_0.prx"
>> IFD [FLUSH]: IndexFileDeleter: unable to remove file "_0.prx": java.io.IOException:
Cannot delete <FolderName>\_0.prx; Will re-try later.
>> IFD [FLUSH]: delete "_0.tis"
>> IFD [FLUSH]: IndexFileDeleter: unable to remove file "_0.tis": java.io.IOException:
Cannot delete <FolderName>\_0.tis; Will re-try later.