lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Ian Lea <ian....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: OutofMemory in large index
Date Fri, 13 Nov 2009 10:17:47 GMT
> I got OutOfMemoryError at
> org.apache.lucene.search.Searcher.search(Searcher.java:183)
> My index is 43G bytes.  Is that too big for Lucene ?
> Luke can see the index has over 1800M docs, but the search is also out
> of memory.
> I use -Xmx1024M to specify 1G java heap space.

43Gb is not too big for lucene, but it certainly isn't small and that
is a lot of docs.  Just give it more memory.

> One abnormal thing is that I broke a running optimize of this index.
> Is that can be a problem ?

Possibly ...

> If so, how can I fix an index after optimize process is broken.

Probably depends on what you mean by broken.  Start with running
org.apache.lucene.index.CheckIndex.  That can also fix some things -
but see the warning in the javadocs.

--
Ian.