lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Chris Bamford <Chris.Bamf...@scalix.com>
Subject RE: LockObtainFailedException
Date Mon, 02 Nov 2009 10:20:15 GMT
Hi Anshum,

Yes there is a reply, but it is Solr specific :-)
I understand that I can catch the exception, but then what can I do about it when it occurs?
 In my case I am pretty sure that the 'write.lock' file is stale - most probably left from
the last time Tomcat shut down - so I want to force it to be opened.  How can I do that?
Am I obliged to locate the file and remove it myself before attempting to repeat the open()
- or is there something in the API to help?

Thanks

- Chris

----- Original Message -----
From: Anshum <anshumg@gmail.com>
Sent: Mon, 11/2/2009 10:08am
To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: LockObtainFailedException

Hi Chris,

Isn't there a reply @ the older thread?
In case there isn't, this is generally observed when an indexwriter is not
closed properly i.e. just not closed.
The lock is created on opening the indexwriter to maintain the sanity of the
index. This lock gets removed on closing writer.close(). In case of
exceptions, when the indexwriter.close() is not closed, the subsequent call
to an index operation (opening a writer) would result in a
lockobtainfailedexception.
Try using a finally block to handle such cases.

--
Anshum Gupta
Naukri Labs!