lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Jake Mannix <jake.man...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Creating tag clouds with lucene
Date Fri, 06 Nov 2009 03:15:10 GMT
Well you can do it as a facet search, but in addition to doing multi-valued
faceting, you can also normalize the counts by dividing by the docFreq of
the term, which instead of getting you the most popular tags which overlap
your query, you get the tags which are more popular for documents matching
your query relative to how popular those tags are in general, which is a way
of getting the tags "related to" your query.  This can be done pretty easily
within bobo (I just whipped up the code to do this while eating dinner just
now, in fact, let me know if you want to try out that way of doing it, and I
can walk you through the bobo code you'd need to write for this), and it's
probably not too hard to do in Solr either.

How big your index is (and how many tags per document there are, and how
many unique tags there are) will have a big impact on how performant this
query is, of course, but in my experience as long as this is a typical tag
case (with only a handful of values per document), this can be done not much
slower than your original query.

  -jake