lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Paul Taylor <paul_t...@fastmail.fm>
Subject Deciding on strategy for storing indexed fields
Date Mon, 30 Nov 2009 18:01:29 GMT
Currently in our Lucene Search we have a number of distinct fields that
are indexed and stored, so that the fields can be searched and we can
then construct an xml representation of the match
(http://wiki.musicbrainz.org/Next_Generation_Schema/SearchServerXML) but
on further reading it appears that the field is stored twice quite
independently ,  and sometimes we store '-' fields  just so that we can
match up pairs of fields
(http://wiki.musicbrainz.org/User:Murdos/NGS_Search_Server). I'm
wondering if it would make sense (and actually use less space) to have
the same indexed fields but only have one stored field which could be a
serialized representation of the JAXB class we use to output the xml for
the matches. This could have the additional benefit that on doing a
search the JAXB classes for returing the matching results are already
created so the search would be quicker.

Is this a good idea ?

thanks Paul