lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Mark Miller <markrmil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: NearSpansUnordered payloads
Date Wed, 25 Nov 2009 13:36:40 GMT
Grant Ingersoll wrote:
> On Nov 20, 2009, at 6:49 PM, Jason Rutherglen wrote:
>

>> I'm interested in getting the payload information from the
>> matching span, however it's unclear from the javadocs why
>> NearSpansUnordered is different than NearSpansOrdered in this
>> regard.
>>
>> NearSpansUnordered returns payloads in a hash set that's
>> computed each method call by iterating over the SpanCell as a
>> linked list, whereas NearSpansOrdered stores the payloads in a
>> list (which is ordered) only when collectPayloads is true.
>>
>> At first glance I'm not sure how to correlate the payload with
>> the span match using NSU, nor why they're different.
>>

> I'll take a stab at this, but I am not 100% certain.  I seem to recall in the implementation
(and then in subsequent fixes by Mark) that we ultimately decided, due to the way Unordered
is implemented, that it was too difficult to put the payloads in order, so we more or less
punted and decided that perhaps it would be fine to deal w/ them in the aggregate anyway.
 Perhaps this needs to be revisited.

> Grant Ingersoll
> http://www.lucidimagination.com/
>
> Search the Lucene ecosystem (Lucene/Solr/Nutch/Mahout/Tika/Droids) using Solr/Lucene:

Right - we would have had to sort them - but not every case needed them
sorted, so it didn't make sense to always pay for that - so we decided
if a user needed it, they could encode the order in the payload and sort
themselves externally.