lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Mark Miller <markrmil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Questions about SEN patch submissions
Date Tue, 10 Nov 2009 01:09:35 GMT
Marvin Humphrey wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 09, 2009 at 04:07:55PM -0500, Robert Muir wrote:
>
>> Mark, I think my concern is that Sen itself is LGPL (
>> https://sen.dev.java.net/).
>>
>> this lucene-ja is just a lucene interface to this LGPL library.
>>
>> I think this dependency might be a problem, but I am not the expert:
>> http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#category-a
>>

> I'm not an expert either, but I believe that we can distribute an Apache
> licensed interface to an LGPL library, so long as we do not distribute the
> library itself and so long as the interface is not a derived work.
>
> If the IP in the interface is entirely original, then the copyright holder for
> the original library has no claim on it and can't stop the interface author
> from doing whatever they want with their own material... right?
>
> Marvin Humphrey

Yeah, we can distribute an original interface to an LGPL lib. We have to
make the user download the lib by pointing to it from a web page or doc
or a non default part of our build can auto get it if we alert the user
of the license of the piece thats being retrieved.

I believe that the LGPL people think that its fine to include with
Apache stuff whole hog, but Apache does not agree - so we have to do it
that way.

--
- Mark

http://www.lucidimagination.com