lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Max Lynch <ihas...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: best way to ensure IndexWriter won't corrupt the index?
Date Wed, 25 Nov 2009 16:10:46 GMT
On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 9:49 AM, Michael McCandless <
lucene@mikemccandless.com> wrote:

> Before 2.4 it was possible that a crash of the OS, or sudden power
> loss to the machine, could corrupt the index.  But that's been fixed
> with 2.4.
>
> The only known sources of corruption are hardware faults (bad RAM, bad
> disk, etc.), and, accidentally allowing 2 writers to write to the same
> index at once (this will very quickly cause corruption).  Lucene's
> write lock normally prevents this from happening.

So in my case I have an indexer running in the background, and if it had
been running for more than 8 hours, I would remove the write lock and start
another indexer, which would cause corruption if the first one was still
writing.  It's a bad process I'm using and I know it's not how Lucene
usually does things so I need to improve my system.