lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Max Lynch <ihas...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Term Boost Threshold
Date Fri, 13 Nov 2009 23:35:36 GMT
> query: "San Francisco" "California" +("John Smith" "John Smith
> Manufacturing")
>
> Here the San Fran and CA clauses are optional, and the ("John Smith" OR
> "John Smith Manufacturing") is required.

Thanks Jake, that works nicely.

Now, I would like to know exactly what term was found.  For example, if a
result comes back from the query above, how do I know whether John Smith was
found, or both John Smith and his company, or just John Smith Manufacturing
was found?  The way I am doing that right now is using a highlighter (which
and
combining the terms that are to be highlighted and keeping track of them so
I know they were found.  If there was a simple way to just check which part
of that query was matched that would be awesome.  This is why I was thinking
of using the term boosting and using a threshold to say "Well, if the score
is above this value, then I can assume that "John Smith" was found, but if
the score is under a certain threshold, I can say that only his company was
found", without having to use the highlighter and noting when a term I'm
looking for is to be highlighted.  Is there a solution?

Thanks,
Max