lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Erick Erickson <erickerick...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Linking Fields to Documents possible?
Date Mon, 23 Nov 2009 12:44:48 GMT
There are some tricks you can apply, but they amount to
keeping your own lists and manipulating them manually. As Ian
says, Lucene isn't a database, and if you find yourself spending
much time trying to *make* it behave like a database you should
probably re-think your approach.

But in this case, you could say use an ID for your supplier and
keep a separate document with fields not in your usual schema
(remember, there's no requirement that all docs have the same
fields), read in and cache that document and use *it* to make
the correlation. Then, when your suppliers changed their names,
you'd only have to change one doc.

But then you have to look up your supplier names in the
document and substitute those IDs into your queries. And
use the "special" doc to lookup the names for display and.....
You see where this leads, each step in and of itself isn't
very hard, but pretty soon you're writing a RDMBS.

But is it worth it? How often does the supplier in your example
change their name? And how painful is reindexing? I've
often found that it's not that difficult to just reindex as necessary.

Best
Erick