lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Mark Bennett <mbenn...@ideaeng.com>
Subject Re: Questions about SEN patch submissions
Date Mon, 09 Nov 2009 22:23:38 GMT
Hi Robert,

Thank you for helping sort through this, and for the Wiki link.

A few thoughts here:

1: I think the author will change the license if I ask, he's been very
supportive (though seems to be working on other things these days).

    If you ran the Universe, which specific license would you like to see
SEN converted to?
    To me the BSD license is the nicest, as I perceive it as having the
fewest restrictions.

2: It's the glue layer that is currently broken (and under the correct
license).
    The revised code needs a good home.

    Although I'd like to eventually get core SEN in here, it is not
currently broken.
    The unmodified ZIP can bed downloaded as-is and used (albeit with a
couple manual steps)

    I guess an analogy:
    I might want to use an open source JDBC driver to access a commercial
database.
    But the commercial database itself is not open source.

3: The source dictionaries are under yet another license, BUT they are
downloaded by build.xml
    and not shipped with either ZIP file.

I'm surprised that GPL and LGPL are incompatible with these the Lucene
projects.  Is there any discussion between the two camps to address this?
Seems like we're all "on the same side".  Open Source License
Incompatibility Issues, hm...

--
Mark Bennett / New Idea Engineering, Inc. / mbennett@ideaeng.com
Direct: 408-733-0387 / Main: 866-IDEA-ENG / Cell: 408-829-6513