lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Albert Juhe <albertj...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: IndexWriter.close() no longer seems to close everything
Date Wed, 11 Nov 2009 10:10:48 GMT

I don't know if it's the same problem but I think it's similar,

My problem is with the Indexsearcher. I've installed a web search engine
that uses Lucene, after a search I make a close operation like this:

private IndexSearcher searcher;

NIOFSDirectory directory = new NIOFSDirectory(new File(path));
this.searcher = new IndexSearcher(directory, true);

 public void close() {
        try {
            System.out.println("Closing: "
+this.searcher.getIndexReader().directory().toString() );
            this.searcher.getIndexReader().directory().close();
            this.searcher.getIndexReader().close();
            this.searcher.close();
        } catch (IOException e) {
            System.out.println(" caught a " + e.getClass() + "\n with
message: " + e.getMessage());
        }
    }
jboss don't close *.cfs index files, everytime that I make a new search a
new file is caught by jboss.
If I make 5 searchs jboss caught 5 *.cfs, I see it with lsof command, the
only way to free this files and close it is stopping jboss.

The problem is that after search many times,  jboss go down and I have to
restart it.

Do you have the same problem with IndexSearch or is only with IndexWriter?

Albert Juhe
Learning Technologies
Universitat Oberta de Catalunya

Michael McCandless-2 wrote:

> Does this look like a real leak John?  You're definitely closing every
> reader you get back from getReader?
>
> Mike
>
> On Sun, Nov 8, 2009 at 10:41 PM, John Wang <john.wang@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I am seeing the samething, but only when IndexWriter.getReader is called
>> at
>> a high rate.
>>
>> from lsof, I see file handles growing.
>>
>> -John
>>
>> On Sun, Nov 8, 2009 at 7:29 PM, Daniel Noll <daniel@nuix.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all.
>>>
>>> We updated to Lucene 2.9, and now we find that after closing our text
>>> index, it is not possible to rename the directory in which it resides
>>> (we are actually renaming a directory further up the hierarchy.)
>>>
>>> We discovered that the following files were still open by the process:
>>>
>>>  _0.tis, _0.frq, _0.prx, _0.fdt, _0.fdx, _0.tvx, _0.tvd, _0.tvf
>>>
>>> We are calling IndexWriter.close() shortly before attempting to write
>>> to the directory (a few lines of code earlier) so I suspect it could
>>> be related to timing somehow if Lucene is perhaps still doing
>>> something on a background thread at this time (though I was under the
>>> impression that close() waited for merges and so forth to complete
>>> before returning.)
>>>
>>> Daniel
>>>
>>> --
>>> Daniel Noll                            Forensic and eDiscovery
Software
>>> Senior Developer                              The world's most
>>> Nuix                                                email
data analysis
>>> http://nuix.com/                                and eDiscovery
software