lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Britske <gbr...@gmail.com>
Subject addIndexesNoOptimize on shards --> is docid deterministic and calculable?
Date Wed, 04 Nov 2009 14:23:21 GMT

Hi,

say I have:
- Indexreader[] readers = {reader1, reader2, reader3} //containing all
different docs
- I know the internal docids of documents in reader1, reader2, reader3
seperately

Does doing IndexWriter.addIndexesNoOptimize(Indexreader[] readers) on these
readers give me a determinstic and calculable set of docids on the documents
in the resulting documentWriter?

i.e: from http://lucene.apache.org/java/2_4_1/fileformats.html:
"The numbers stored in each segment are unique only within the segment, and
must be converted before they can be used in a larger context. The standard
technique is to allocate each segment a range of values, based on the range
of numbers used in that segment. To convert a document number from a segment
to an external value, the segment's base document number is added."

Does assinging docids in addIndexesNoOptimize work like this?
in other words:
- docids of docs in reader1 stay the same in indexwriter
- docids of docs in reader2 are incremented by reader1.docs.size();
- docids of docs in reader3 are incremented by reader1.docs.size() +
reader2.docs.size()

Thanks,
Geert-Jan