lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Stefan Trcek <wzzelfz...@abas.de>
Subject Re: What does "out of order" mean?
Date Fri, 27 Nov 2009 13:13:09 GMT
On Friday 27 November 2009 12:07:07 Michael McCandless wrote:
> Re: What does "out of order" mean?
>
> It refers to the order in which the docIDs are delivered to your
> Collector.
>
> "Normally" they are always delivered in increasing order.
>
> However, some queries (well, currently only certain BooleanQuery
> cases) can achieve substantial search speedup if they are allowed to
> deliver docIDs to your collector out of order.  In this case, docs
> are processed in batches (chunks of 1024 docIDs at once), and within
> a batch you may receive docIDs out of order.
>
> Many collectors don't mind getting docIDs out of order, and so it's
> important to return "true" from your acceptDocsOutOfOrder method so
> Lucene can allow BooleanQuery to run faster.

Can this paragraph go to the docs?
May be I missed it, but I stumpled upon "out of order" and "in order"
several times and wasn't sure what will be the consequence of the
decision. Not even sure what will be the "don't care" case.

I like "don't care" options like "Version.LUCENE_CURRENT" very much.
It allows the library to do the best if I don't care.

Stefan