lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
Subject Re: Questions about SEN patch submissions
Date Tue, 10 Nov 2009 00:02:03 GMT
On Mon, Nov 09, 2009 at 04:07:55PM -0500, Robert Muir wrote:
> Mark, I think my concern is that Sen itself is LGPL (
> https://sen.dev.java.net/).
>
> this lucene-ja is just a lucene interface to this LGPL library.
>
> I think this dependency might be a problem, but I am not the expert:
> http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#category-a

I'm not an expert either, but I believe that we can distribute an Apache
licensed interface to an LGPL library, so long as we do not distribute the
library itself and so long as the interface is not a derived work.

If the IP in the interface is entirely original, then the copyright holder for
the original library has no claim on it and can't stop the interface author
from doing whatever they want with their own material... right?

Marvin Humphrey