lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject Re: NearSpansUnordered payloads
Date Wed, 25 Nov 2009 13:14:21 GMT

On Nov 20, 2009, at 6:49 PM, Jason Rutherglen wrote:

> I'm interested in getting the payload information from the
> matching span, however it's unclear from the javadocs why
> NearSpansUnordered is different than NearSpansOrdered in this
> regard.
>
> NearSpansUnordered returns payloads in a hash set that's
> computed each method call by iterating over the SpanCell as a
> linked list, whereas NearSpansOrdered stores the payloads in a
> list (which is ordered) only when collectPayloads is true.
>
> At first glance I'm not sure how to correlate the payload with
> the span match using NSU, nor why they're different.

I'll take a stab at this, but I am not 100% certain.  I seem to recall in the implementation
(and then in subsequent fixes by Mark) that we ultimately decided, due to the way Unordered
is implemented, that it was too difficult to put the payloads in order, so we more or less
punted and decided that perhaps it would be fine to deal w/ them in the aggregate anyway.
 Perhaps this needs to be revisited.

Grant Ingersoll
http://www.lucidimagination.com/

Search the Lucene ecosystem (Lucene/Solr/Nutch/Mahout/Tika/Droids) using Solr/Lucene:
http://www.lucidimagination.com/search