lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Uwe Schindler" <...@thetaphi.de>
Subject RE: API changes in 2.9
Date Thu, 26 Nov 2009 09:27:35 GMT
> Thanks.
>
> I used NumberTool to convert the int to string. In 2.9, NumericField is to
> be used but it stores it based on some precision. I think the way the
> integer data gets indexed is changed from 2.4 to 2.9. This means my
> customers using 2.4.1 should rebuild their index.

Exactly. Because of that NumberTools is deprecated as a warning, not to use
it for *new* developments. The numeric values are stored completely
different and can only be queried using NumericRangeQuery.

These deprecations needed for index compatibility are *not* removed in 3.0
(they are targeted for 4.0, when indexes < 3.0 cannot be read anymore). So
for performance reasons (if you do range queries on your numeric fields),
you should reindex.

> Whether 2.9 could able to modify\search the index created by 2.4.1? Is
> backward compatibility maintained?

Yes it is maintained, but you should get rid of deprecated APIs. And for the
numeric case, you cannot mix old/new API on the same field. Switch to the
new API in complete (reindex) or let it as it is.

Uwe