lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Glen Newton <glen.new...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Performance tips when creating a large index from database.
Date Thu, 22 Oct 2009 14:59:01 GMT
This is basically what LuSql does. The time increases ("8h to 30 min")
are similar. Usually on the order of an order of magnitude.

Oh, the comments suggesting most of the interaction is with the
database? The answer is: it depends.
With large Lucene documents: Lucene is the limiting factor (worsened
by going single threaded).
With small documents: it can be the DB.

Other issues include waiting for complex queries on the DB to be ready
(avoid sorting in the SQL!!).
LuSql supports out-of-band joins (don't do the join in the SQL, but do
the join from the client (with an additional- but low cost as it is
usually on the primary key - query for each record); sometimes this is
better; sometimes this is worse, depending on your DB design, queries,
etc.)

-Glen

-