lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Jake Mannix <jake.man...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Realtime search best practices
Date Mon, 12 Oct 2009 17:28:27 GMT
Hi Cedric,

  I don't know of anyone with a substantial throughput production system who
is doing realtime search with the 2.9 improvements yet (and in fact, no
serious performance analysis has been done on these even "in the lab" so to
speak: follow https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-1577 to track
work
on this), so some experimentation will be necessary to know how well it fits
in your environment.

  Your approach has the basic components of how to do 2.9 NRT search,
but it's missing the point when you're making your commit() calls.  Your
choices
here depend on some tradeoffs, as lucene provides ACID-like transactional
semantics whereby if you decide to commit() after every add(), then yes,
getReader() will be up-to-date with the most recent commit(), but at a cost
of indexing throughput (and much more frequent segment merges), at least
in comparison to only calling commit() at a slower rate (but calling
commit()
less frequently means, of course, that you only have readers as fresh as
your most recent commit).

  Also, you have to be aware that there are no guarantees as far as
realtimeliness is concerned with 2.9 NRT - if there is an addIndexes() going

on in anther thread on your IndexWriter, this is another instance where your

getReader() call won't block, but also won't necessarily get access to the
all of these new segments if the addIndexes() hasn't completed yet.

  Please post here any results you find with this - this is a very new
feature
and seeing how it works in the wild would be very helpful to everyone else
who is interested.

  -jake