lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Mark Miller <markrmil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: 2.9 per segment searching/caching
Date Thu, 22 Oct 2009 12:07:58 GMT
Bill Au wrote:
> Since Lucene 2.9 has per segment searching/caching, does query performance
> degrade less than before (2.9) as more segments are added to the index?
> Bill

I think non sorting cases are actually faster now over multiple segments
- though you will still see performance degrade pretty signif. over a
single segment (I've measured even 5 segments as being 15-20% slower).
Doesn't really help the degrade, but should be faster at each point.

Sorting is a bit different - you have to convert the p-queue as you go
from segment to segment - so the more segments (which also generally
means more larger segments), the more conversion you have to do. This
didn't appear to be to bad unless you got up to quite a few segments .
Worse degradation though.

--
- Mark

http://www.lucidimagination.com