lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Michael Busch <busch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Efficiently reopening remotely-distributed indexes in 2.9?
Date Tue, 06 Oct 2009 01:46:39 GMT

On 10/5/09 5:30 PM, Nigel wrote:
>> Before Lucene 2.9, I don't think this made any difference, as (I think) the
>> only advantage to calling reopen vs. just creating another IndexReader was
>> having reopen figure out whether the index had actually changed.  (And whave
>> a different way to figure that out, so it was a non-issue.)

There was a big difference before too: reopen() in 2.4.x only loads
internal data structures from new segments, like the terms dictionary
and norms. The performance improvements were significant already (see
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-743?focusedCommentId=12532585&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels%3Acomment-tabpanel#action_12532585).

Now in 2.9 this also works for field caches.

  Michael