lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Michael Busch <>
Subject Re: Efficiently reopening remotely-distributed indexes in 2.9?
Date Tue, 06 Oct 2009 01:46:39 GMT

On 10/5/09 5:30 PM, Nigel wrote:
>> Before Lucene 2.9, I don't think this made any difference, as (I think) the
>> only advantage to calling reopen vs. just creating another IndexReader was
>> having reopen figure out whether the index had actually changed.  (And whave
>> a different way to figure that out, so it was a non-issue.)

There was a big difference before too: reopen() in 2.4.x only loads
internal data structures from new segments, like the terms dictionary
and norms. The performance improvements were significant already (see

Now in 2.9 this also works for field caches.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message