lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Karl Wettin <karl.wet...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Need to know pros and cons of using RAMDirectory
Date Sat, 17 Oct 2009 16:11:53 GMT
Hi,

you should probably ask your self why your performance is bad before
looking at solving it by scaling hardware. I.e. what are your
application needs, how so you solve you needs at index/query time and
how can you replace this with something better? If you tell us a bit
more about your corpora and your need we might be able to help you.

But in response to your query, RAMDirectory loads index to memory and
is thus usually faster than FSDirectory. But a small (or the often
requested parts of a large) FSDirectory will however be handled by the
OS level file chache so you might not win anything by switching. You
simply have to bechmark your index in RAMDirectory and comare it with
FSDirectory. Perhaps you want to take a look at the benchmark contrib.