lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Chris Were <>
Subject How to setup a scalable deployment?
Date Tue, 06 Oct 2009 22:57:02 GMT
I've been using lucene for a project and it works great on the one dev.
machine. Next step is to investigate the best method of deploying lucene so
that multiple web servers can access the lucene directory of indexes.

I see four potential options:

1) Each web server indexes the content separately. This will potentially
cause different web servers to have slightly different indexes at any given
time and also duplicates the work load of indexing the content
2) Using rsync (or a similar tool) to regularly update a local lucene index
directory on each web server. I imagine there will be locking issues that
need to be resolved here.
3) Using a network file system that all the web servers can access. I don't
have much experience in this area, but potentially latency on searches will
be high?
4) Some alternative lucene specific solution that I haven't found in the
wiki / lucene documentation.

The indexes aim to be as real-time as possible, I currently update my
IndexReaders in a background thread every 20 seconds.

Does anyone have any recommendations on the best approach?