lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Erick Erickson <erickerick...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Searching slow *after* an optimize (lucene.net 2.3.2)
Date Thu, 22 Oct 2009 12:42:00 GMT
Check this out with the .net port folks, but in the Java world, whenyou open
an IndexReader (which I presume you do after optimizing),
the first few queries fill various caches etc. and do run slowly. One
solution is to fire a few warmup queries at the newly opened reader
before letting your main application start using that same reader.

I'm surprised that it takes 15 minutes for things to settle down.
When you post on the .net forum, you should include the amount
of memory you're allocating to the process as well as other
details, like what *else* is running on your searcher.

Best
Erick