lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Marc Sturlese <marc.sturl...@gmail.com>
Subject Adding segments to an optimized index
Date Wed, 28 Oct 2009 11:36:10 GMT

I am doing some test with optimize and adding segments and I am wondering if
someone knows if what I am doing can give document inconsistency.
I have 2 folders with one index each. One have a non optimized index1 with 1
milion docs and a mergeFactor=10. The other one, index2 has the same index
optimized with compound file. I add and delete some docuements in the no
optimized index1. And a few segements desapear and somew are created. I now
I copy the new created files in the optimized index2 and optimized it again.
I get no errors doing that but... docuemenst will be the same in index1 and
index2? I am asking because when I added some docs and delete others in
index1 some segments desapear and index2 is suposed to still have that
segements optimized with the others... or it doesn't work this way?

What I try to explain is:

index1:
seg1,seg2,seg3,seg4,seg5
index2: (index1 optimized with compound)
seg8

adding and deleteting docs to index1 will get:
seg1,seg2,seg3,seg6 (seg4 and seg5 have desapeared and seg6 has been
created)
now I do in index2:
seg8+seg6+optimize=seg9 (but seg8 is suposed to still contain seg4 and seg5)

The question is: index1 (seg1,seg2,seg3,seg6) and index2(seg9) will contain
the same docs??

Thanks in advance and let me know if I wasn't clear in my explanation
please.