lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "George Aroush" <geo...@aroush.net>
Subject RE: Searching slow *after* an optimize (lucene.net 2.3.2)
Date Thu, 22 Oct 2009 12:03:15 GMT
Please post your question to: lucene-net-user[AT]incubator.apache.org for
Lucene.Net related topics.  See http://incubator.apache.org/lucene.net/ for
subscription info.

-- George

-----Original Message-----
From: ShibbyUK [mailto:lewis_r_j@hotmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, October 22, 2009 7:17 AM
To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Searching slow *after* an optimize (lucene.net 2.3.2)

Hi,

We're having some odd performance problems. Recently, searching our index is
becoming slow *after* performing an optimize. This is counter intuitive as
usually the optimize has the opposite effect!

We're using lucene.net 2.3.2 and have an index of 250,000 documents and
about 500 queries per minute at peak times.

Performance is good (even after much indexing) until the optimize runs.
Then, queries are slow (2-5 seconds) for about 15 minutes until eventually
settling down a bit. But in this time, many query threads time out (as we
queue when we have to). We are not using any explicit caching methods.

Any help/suggestions on what to do would be much appreciated! I'm about to
rebuild the index from scratch to see if this temporarily resolves the
problem...

Thanks